Do I need to disconnect everything from under the dash before I can pull the cluster, or can I pull it out a ways and then disconnect all the wiring, etc. This is a factory air car, and it doesn't look like there's much room to do anything from under the dash unless I remove a lot of stuff.
Posted by: David Walker
Park the car and disconnect the battery, then follow these steps:
1. Drop the steering column or tape it with foam to prevent scratching.
2. Remove radio knobs and nuts - radio might slide back enough to release from cluster/dash (mine does)
3. Remove heater A/C knobs
4. Remove screws around top edge of cluster - do not remove heater control screws (deeply recessed)
5. Remove the screw (pointing down) below the radio push buttons
6. Remove screws under cluster in bottom part of dash (one left and one right of steering column) - these are the main support
7. Slide cluster out slightly - reach in behind and release speedo cable
8. Slide cluster out further - unplug dash bulbs and other electrical plugs
9. Tilt cluster up and using small wrench release ammeter nuts from threaded studs
10. Slide cluster out to the right (easier with steering column dropped)